What We’re Fighting For
Athena is a new alliance of people who believe that control over our lives, our communities, and our democracy should be in our hands.
Everyone should be able to enjoy the benefits of digital technologies and online commerce without having to sacrifice our rights and liberties, health and planet, or hopes and dreams.
But billionaire corporations like Amazon rig the rules so only they can prosper. They threaten our ability to earn a good living and live a good life.
We are joining together to stop Amazon’s growing, powerful grip over our society and economy. We’re going to write new rules so that our economy puts people first, our public officials ensure that no corporation is above the law or too big to govern — and that our democracy, finally, represents all of us.
You will receive email updates from Athena.
Why We’re Taking on Amazon
Corporations like Amazon are dangerous to our communities, our democracy, and our economy. Together, we need to:
- Govern our own communities. It’s we who should decide what is best for us in our communities — not big corporations. We can stop Amazon’s sweetheart tax deals from local governments, draining of public resources, and big-footing into our neighborhoods with no regard for the rest of us.
- Put our health before their bottom line. Amazon relies on, and profits off, the oil and gas that poisons our communities and worsens our climate crisis. It’s time to end that.
- Shield our local economies, so they can thrive. Amazon is so big it can prey on and manipulate customers, small businesses, and help themselves to tax money that should go to schools, housing, transit, and whatever else our communities need. No more.
- Protect people from Amazon’s dangerous surveillance. We must block Amazon from selling and using technologies to track us at home and work, mining our personal data for profit, and fueling harmful and discriminatory policing of immigrants and communities of color.
Who We Are
Athena is a broad coalition of local and national organizations representing working people, small business people, people of color, immigrants, and neighbors, along with activists, advocates, policy experts, and academics. We are coming together to create an economy where everyone can thrive, defend our climate, safeguard our communities from surveillance, and expand our democracy. We need everyone to devise these solutions – join us.
Our coalition partners include:
- Action Center for Race and the Economy ACRE
- Awood Center
- Backbone Campaign
- CAAAV – Organizing Asian Communities
- Center for Community Action and Environmental Justice
- Center for Popular Democracy
- Clean Water Action NJ
- Daily Kos
- Demand Progress
- DRUM Desis Rising Up and Moving
- Fight for the Future
- For Us Not Amazon
- La ColectiVA
- Good Jobs First
- Greater New York Labor-Religion Coalition
- Green America
- Hand in Hand
- Institute for Local Self Reliance
- Jews for Racial & Economic Justice JFREJ
- Jobs with Justice
- Muslim Counterpublics Lab
- LA Fed
- LA Alliance for a New Economy
- Make the Road NJ
- Make the Road NY
- Moving Forward Network
- MPower Change
- National Employment Law Project
- Never Again Action
- New York Communities For Change
- NESRI – National Economic & Social Rights Initiative
- Open Markets
- Our Revolution Arlington
- PowerSwitch Action
- Public Citizen
- The Revolving Door Project
- Rhiza Collective
- Stand Up Nashville
- SURJ Showing Up for Racial Justice
- Transit Riders Union
- United for Respect
- Working Partnerships USA
- Warehouse Workers for Justice
- Warehouse Worker Resource Center
For press inquiries reach press [at] athenaforall.org
For general inquiries reach info [at] athenaforall.org
Legal Notice: Athena does not intend or seek to represent employees at Amazon or any subsidiary regarding their employees’ terms and conditions of employment, or to bargain with Amazon or any subsidiary.